jam725 wrote:
> Is there anyone who can help with untangling some ntp issues in
> busybox?  I have an Atmel STK1000 dev kit (AVR32, AP7000 ARM 7
> processor) and want to turn it into an NTP server.  I'm running
> busybox and have added ntp utilities through buildroot, but don't know
> what I need to do to synchronize this board to external servers.  I
> have followed the advice from this walk-through:
> http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch24_:_The_NTP_Server
>
> but have hit some snags where certain commands are not supported in
> busybox (service start/stop/reset, chkconfig). At boot ntpd looks to
> read from somewhere:

It wants a file called ntp.conf.  Since I have never seen or heard of a
"busybox" I probably can't help you much with where to put the file.  On
a Unix box it defaults to /etc.

The ntp.conf file typically contains from four to seven server
statements which look like:

server 192.168.1.23
server 10.1.1.13
etc.

You may use the names instead of the numeric IP addresses.

> Running ntpdate: 16 Dec 17:39:43 ntpdate[411]: step time server
> 155.101.3.114 offset 1260988767.511027 sec
> done
>
> but issuing an ntpdate command returns:
>
> 16 Dec 18:22:01 ntpdate[444]: no servers can be used, exiting

An ntpdate command requires the name or IP address of a server.

> what can I do to test that this is working?  'pgrep ntpd' returns only
> one process number where the above link makes it sound I should be
> seeing several.

No!  There should be one and only one ntpd process!
<snip>