Ryan Malayter wrote:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Danny Mayer <ma...@ntp.org> wrote:
That's not what I said. I said that this *cannot* happen on the local
server after the first time it steps the clock no matter what the remote
servers say, even if all of the remote servers agree on the time. The
step size is too large for it to be processed by ntpd.

"Cannot happen"? I wasn't aware than ntpd's source code had been proven correct.

In my IT career, I've observed that when an end user or tester reports
an issue, and a programmer says "that cannot happen"... the
user/tester is correct 99% of the time.

If I see a notation in code saying, in effect, "can't get here" I add whatever call means "suicide with crash dump" if it's not already present. I don't get many crash dumps but if the impossible happens I like to have it documented.