David J Taylor wrote:
Yes, I know it's one of those low long is a piece of string questions,
but I'm now considering a dual-core Intel Atom system, which is
"Compatible with Linux" according the the very minimal blurb I have
right now. If the system is to be used purely for NTP with Linux as a
serial-port GPS/PPS stratum-1 server (and, yes, I know dual-core isn't
needed for that, but I might want to boot Windows-7 64-bit
occasionally), and considering that I know very little about Linux,
which version of Linux would the group recommend? Does it make any
difference as far as timekeeping is concerned?

I'd use Ubuntu, simply because those systems are very close to 'maintenance-free', i.e. the OS takes care of pretty much all patching/updates/install etc.

Two secondary questions:
- how much better might FreeBSD be than Linux? Any actual measurements?

Sub-us vs 1-5 us, but only with special hw and a non-standard motherboard crystal freq source.

- and one for Bill, how much better might chrony be than official NTP?
Does it have a preferred Linux, or even freeBSD?

The system would /not/ be in a temperature controlled environment.

In which case you should probably be happy with sub-10 us performance anyway.

Terje

Thanks,

- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>