On 2010-06-17, Marcelo Pimenta <marcelopiment...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/17 unruh <un...@wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>

>> know
>> no
>> traffic

>> > Yes, you are right, accuracy of 1ms. On a local network 100usec?? Even if
>> we
>> > use only switches(no routers), how is that possible if I have 4 types of
>> > Latency increasing about 80us? Algorithms to compensate the delay? Even
>> in
>> > SNTP?
>>
>> ntp relies on the outgoing and ingoing times are the same. They could be
>> one
>> year, but if they are both exactly the same ( both exactly one year)
>> ntp can deliver a time accuracy of 1nsec.
>> Yes, I typically get time accuracies of tens of usec on a local network.
>> Even over adsl frin home to work  I get 1 msec easily ( and yes I can
>> detect the accuracy by
>> having a gps PPS receiver at both endw to test the accuracy to 1us)
>>

> NTP can deliver a time accuracy of 1nsec?? I my point of view, NTP includes
> methods to estimate the round-trip path delay between the server and client
> but the performance is limited by SO stack latency, it is an Application
> Layer protocol.

In principle yes, it can. Of course in practice no. And if the delay is
one year, the symmetry is not likely to be 1ns.
It was simply and (extreme) example to make a point.,
The performance is not limited by latency as long as it is symmetric. If
it is not symmetric then there is a problem

> What's the resolution of you clock? What's your SO?
Define SO.