Rob,

With due respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about. The original discipline loop described in rfd1305 was refined as described in my 1995 paper and further refined over the years since then. For each and every refinement a series of tests, both in simulation and in situ, were performed with initial offsets up to +-500 PPM and +-100 ms to verify correct behavior with the original parameters. The daemon loop is required to operate over a time constant between 8 s and 36 h, which is an extremely large range as verified by ongoing configurations here.

The kernel loop is designed to replicate the daemon loop over a much narrower range between 8s and 1024 s. The ideal poll interval is 16 and 64 s matching the Allan intercept as described in the literature. It was first implemented for the Alpha in 1992 and refined as described in my 1995 paper and not changed since then. Correct behavior must be confirmed by an experiment such as I suggested in a previous message. Sound engineering principles project that the behavior at other time constants will be as I described. If you don't believe those principles, you are not exercising sound engineering judgment.

Dr. Dave

Rob wrote: