Miroslav,

I think we are talking right past each other. Both Chrony and NTP implement the clock discipline using a second-order feedback loop that can minimize error in both time and frequency, although each uses a different loop filter. Chrony uses a least-squares technique; NTP uses a traditional phase-lock loop. The response of these loops is characterized by risetime and overshoot, or alternatively time constant and damping factor. If Chrony were designed to have similar risetime and overshoot characteristics and equivalent time constant, when operated under the same conditions (trace 1) it will perform in a manner similar to NTP. That was and is my claim.

I read your message very carefully and conclude you have done something very similar to what I have. You generated phase noise from an exponential distribution and verified it has slope -0.5 on a variance-time plot, then generated random-walt frequency noise and verified it has slope near zero on a variance-time plot or used some other equivalent technique to verify the distributions. Using trial and error you found appropriate factors to combine the phase and frequency noise to produce an Allan variance characteristic similar to trace 1. All this is not hard using Matlab, but you might have used something else.

The interesting thing to me is how you used that information to develop the claim that Chrony is far better than NTP? To support your claim, you would have to confront both Chrony and NTP with samples drawn from the resulting distribution and compare statistics. The cumulative probability distributions in Chapter 6 of my book were made using the NTP simulator included in the NTP distribution. I assume you have something similar.

It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with trace 3 and NTP operating at a poll interval of 16 s..

Dave