On 1/13/2011 8:08 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Mike S<mi...@flatsurface.com>  wrote:
de-facto' timer hardware for IA-PCs."

If trying to improve the system time stability of a PC, the first thing to
look for is a 14.31818 MHz crystal

I just now did a parts search at Digikey for the best posable 14.31818
MHz crystal to put on a PC motherboard.  The one I found was a 10ppm
part made by a company called "TXC".  It was also an exact match to
the part I salvaged from the dead board.

So it seems the only way to get better is to build some kind of
disciplined oscillator likely based on GPS.  It would not be hard to
build one that is 1000 times better than 10ppm

Have you considered temperature control? Try putting the crystal in a home made "oven"? All you have to do is to ensure that the crystal is maintained at a constant temperature.

The tighter the temperature control, the more stable the frequency will be!