On 1/16/2011 6:02 PM, Edward T. Mischanko wrote:
That is the problem exactly!  In FreeBSD I can not set anything to minpoll
3, but in Windows I can.  Why?  If I could poll my GPS/PPS every 8 seconds,
I most likely would.

Why? Polling that fast would almost certainly diminish NPTD's ability to give you the maximum possible accuracy.

I over simplify, perhaps grossly, but short poll intervals set your clock fairly quickly while longer poll intervals set your clock more accurately.

NTPD will do the right thing if you allow it to do its job!