On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Mike S <mi...@flatsurface.com> wrote:

> Chris, I've seen similar when using an Atom (PPS) refclock linked to another
> refclock (using the "prefer" keyword) which delivers time via a serial
> character stream. The PPS is, as it should be, very accurate. But the serial
> (Trimble Thunderbolt, in this case) would bounce around +- quite a few ms.
> When they got too far apart, NTP would consider the pair bad (or maybe only
> the PPS dropped out, I can't recall).
>
> I don't know if the monolithic Oncore driver pays any attention to this, but
> my issue was corrected by adding a "tos mindist 0.015" line to
> /etc/ntp.conf. That allows the two refclocks to be separated by up to 15 ms
> before NTP considers it a problem.

I suspect now the PPS is failing somehow.  I can see the serial data
appear in the log every second.  But mixed in there is a error message
that reads "ONCORE[0]: ONCORE: oncore_get_timestamp, error serial
pps".   I'll likey grep the code for the error string and see what
it's doing.

I just bught an HP "universal counter" and when UPS delivers it I'll
have the abilty to measure the PPS at sub uS level.   I could have a
"plumbing" pproblem as the UT+ is 3rd floor and the computer is 1st
floor with 75 feet of RS232 over cat-5 between.

--
=====
Chris Albertson