On 2011-02-04, John Hasler <jhas...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> David Woolley writes:
>> As it probably wasn't made clear.  These are not about forming a
>> contract, but about denying people a defence that they didn't know the
>> message was confidential.
>
> But if they are unrelated third parties they need no defense (at least
> in the USA).  In circumstances such as these we can simply ignore the
> silly things.

Yes, but in case an email actually IS sent to someone and is supposed
to be confidential, the recipient can point to the posting with that
message on netnews, and show that that notice is actually meaningless
since it is attached to stuff which is clearly not confidential, and
thus by misuse they have negated the whole purpose of the message.