Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> writes:

> Rob wrote:
>> But of course this is completely unreasonable.  It will bring you nothing
>> to use a larger window than the rate of your connection times the maximum
>> roundtriptime you get for the sites you download from.  And it has
>
> Actually, I would suggest a small amount more, as a safety margin, but
> otherwise I agree.
>
>> disadvantages to set the window larger than that, which those websites
>> usually don't explain to you.
>
> My personal "problem" is that I am sitting at the end of 30/30 Mbit/s
> fiber connection here in Oslo, Norway: This means that I can very
> easily run out of buffer space when talking to US servers:
>
> 200 ms ping times corresponds to 6 Mbit of data, i.e. I need about 800
> kB network buffers just to keep the pipe going, more if I want to be
> able to recover from an occasional lost packet with a fast retransmit.

Bufferbloat is different that the TCP receive or transmit window
size. Bufferbloat is unmanaged buffers in the software TXQUEUE, the
hardware TX ring, and the device itself.

The TCP layer of buffering is not what we are talking about with
bufferbloat. TCP's window and amount of buffering is highly tunable, and
controllable.

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net