<dwmal...@maths.tcd.ie> wrote in message news:201102241413.aa58...@walton.maths.tcd.ie...
In comp.protocols.time.ntp you write:

Bill, do you need to add a couple of wires to get an RS-232 level signal,
as I describe here:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#sure

For just over US $30 (and delivered to the UK for a few dollars more) it's
not bad, considering that the GPS 18x LVC comes to approaching US $100
over here!

Cute - I might get one - even my soldering might be up to doing that ;-)

David.

It's surface mount stuff, David, which I don't normally do, but attaching a couple of leads is OK if you are careful. I happen to have a very narrow bit for my soldering iron, which IIRC is 800F, so hot enough to melt what they call solder these days! But perhaps more modern irons would be OK in any case. As you can tell, it's enamelled copper wire I use, and I would suggest trying to layout and scrape and tin the ends before soldering. Usual anti-static precautions apply. I've ordered a second one as a spare - the unit seems very sensitive, but it would be most interesting to see how it compares with a more expensive box.

Do let me know how you get on, and don't worry if the combined postal time is 2-3 weeks!

        • R... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
        • R... David J Taylor
      • Re: [... Gautam Thaker
        • R... Gautam Thaker
  • Re: [ntp:quest... David J Taylor
    • Re: [ntp:... unruh
      • Re: [... Chris Albertson
        • R... Gautam Thaker
          • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
      • Re: [... David J Taylor
        • R... David J Taylor
        • R... Uwe Klein
        • R... unruh
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... Chris Albertson
            • ... unruh
              • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
              • ... unruh
              • ... Terje Mathisen