On 2011-03-08, Ralph <ra...@depth.net> wrote:

>> When are you going to start working on it?
>>  ... or are you asking others to do free programming
>>   for you, to work around your unique problem?
>
> Maybe I deserve that flame for having ranted a bit, but
> I hardly think the problem of clock time that won't behave
> within a linux guest VM is 'unique'.  Do a google search on
> it, I'm clearly not the only one with this problem.

Of course it is not unique. It is also unsolveable. A VM simply does not
run in a way that it can keep accurate time. the only way to do it is to
have the underlying OS that runs the VM keep accurate time and to have
the VM gets its time from there. think about it-- there is no clock tha
tthe VM can discipline to keep accurate time. Clocks based on CPU cannot
work because the VM can be interrupted at will and stopped. Clocks based
on hardware cannot work because you would run into the problem of 5
different VM all fighting over the same hardware and constantly changing
what the other had done.

> And are you saying that the mentality of the open source
> world ought to be one of 'no one is allowed to complain about
> anything because they ought to code the fix themselves'?  I've

No. It is because you believe that there is a solution-- so impliment
it. People have thought about it, and come to the conclusion that it is
really hard to do. You walk in and state it is not. Prove it-- or was
that just hot air.

> participated in many open source projects and I enjoy contirbuting
> to the community, but I don't think that one ought to have to
> be a contributor to be a user.  If open source isn't supposed to
> have consumers that aren't contributors from a coding perspective,
> then it is most certainly a doomed concept - and I sincerly hope that
> is not the case.

But it also means that you have to put up with what others have done,
and you then should not sit there ranting about what they have not done.
And you are ranting again.