On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Uwe Klein
<uwe_klein_habertw...@t-online.de> wrote:

> IMHO most "leveragers" of VMs don't understand what happens in
> their loved sandbox which completely destroys the
> notion of a "controlled and escape proof environment"

No, we do, it's just that 20:1 server consolidation ratios and the
attendant cost savings, as well as the all of the deployment and
management flexibility offered by VMs outweigh the other
considerations. We started saving hundreds of thousands of direct
expense per year when we went all-VMware on the server side two years
ago, and we are a small company.

As for your notion of "safety" when running on a real physical
server... have you ever audited the code of your BIOS? Or the firmware
on your chipsets, NICs, RAID cards, or disk drives? Your "control" of
a physical server is just as illusory as that of a Virtual Machine.

--
RPM