On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:18:24 +0000, Rob wrote:

> Bruce Lilly <bruce.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Endianness (and more generally byte order) are of concern for precisely
>> the same reasons.
>
> This is not relevant in the case of shared memory, as long as the memory
> is not shared between processors of different endianess.

Please reread the information regarding bi-endian hardware and note that
some can be configured to switch endianness on a per-page basis.  That's
with a single processor. Note also that the mapping of memory in
different processes may be to different addresses (i.e. different pages).

Given that there are two separate processes involved, I cannot safely
assume that different endianness might never arise; it's certainly
conceivable that the ntp side might be built big-endian (to simplify
networking operations), while the other process might be little-endian
(perhaps to more efficiently cope with hardware).