On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM, unruh <un...@wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> I think this is a really bad idea. It conveys the impression that it is
> OK to jam GPS-- "Even the government thinks it is OK to jam GPS." This
> removes the (admittedly possibly small) moral argument that it is bad to
> jam GPS because of the harm it could do.
> This says "Taking GPS off the air for 18 hours is fine".

If you're within a few miles of one of the 40,000 planned LightSquared
base stations, you'll likely lose GPS for good, if the FCC sticks to
its current approval to repurpose a GPS-adjacent band allocated for
space-based use for terrestrial broadband.  Search for LightSquared or
see for example:

http://freegeographytools.com/2011/update-on-lightsquareds-gps-jamming-proposal

These LightSquared guys apparently know their way around the DC
beltway, managing to schedule an accelerated approval to coincide with
Thanksgiving.  I can only suppose they bribed the right people.  Did I
say bribed?  I'm sorry, expressed their first amendment rights via
unlimited political donations!  Silly me.

Dave Hart