C BlacK wrote:
I am talking about the cheep crystal oscillator in the local x86 computer.

There are designs for temperature control of the motherboard
xtal and alternative of using an external 14.31818 MHz clock
source. Some of my motherboards even have an external source
connector.

I tried an experiment with a watch xtal divided down to give
a pps output with best result drift of only a few ms/day but
worst was more than 1s/day. The module was in the open but
shielded from direct sun.

There is another method where motherboard/xtal temperature is
measured and a correction applied via a patched ntpd.

Sorry but the links I have are no longer working as sites
have moved.

David

Chip