On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2011-04-26, David J Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Attribution Missing" wrote:
>>>
>>> ntpq 4.2.0a@1.1190-r<mailto:4.2.0a@1.1190-r> Thu Oct  5 04:11:36 EDT
>>> 2006 (1)
>>
>> Your client software is five years out of date, I suggest you update it.
>
> Red Herring.

Yes and no.  Not many people can help fix problem with software that
is this old.  Hard to remember what worked and what did not that many
years ago.   But of course NTP worked back then and should continue to
work "forever"

>> In your ntd.conf, remove the local clock, and add in three pool server
>> lines such as:
>> ________________________________
>> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> ________________________________
>
> The OP wants to sync this client to his local time server
> (10.200.37.37).

Yes this is true.  We are looking at a client machine here.  The OP,
we must assume has an NTP server running at 10.200.37.37 that is using
pool servers or some others

1) Do get rid of the LOCAL ref clock.  It is usless on a client
2) I think the start up script the starts ntpd should use the "-g"
command switch
3) I think you need more than one server line. What if 10.200.37.37
needs to be taken off-line.  I'd set up at least two ntp servers and
configure al clients to use both
4) do get the new software. It has features you need for your servers,
orphan mode and so on.

If this is running inside a VM, then don't expect good time keeping.
I think VMs can be configure to get the time of day from their host
OS.

--
=====
Chris Albertson