I don't understand what you mean by "it doesn't work". The maxclock option does not do what you want. It is intended for automatic configuration, where it specifies the maximum number of servers remaining after the preempt phase. For configured associations, this number is irrelevant.

Dave

Steve Kostecke wrote:

On 2011-07-02, David L. Mills <mi...@udel.edu> wrote:

The combine algorithm operates on the survivors of the cluster algorithm, as described on the "How NTP Works" page. The number of survivors can be set using the minclock option. I'm not sure why you want to do this, but the option is there.

Dave,

I've been having a discussion with someone who wishes to configure a
large number of unicast time servers and restrict the number of
survivors to a number below the default. He was attempting to accomplish
this using maxclock option, but it did not work.

Thanks,