Chris,

That is a good point, I hadn't thought of reference clocks case(s) and
interrupt level processing which will be at a higher priority than the
ntpd process. I was thinking all network connections between ntpd
processes.

That then made me think about later stages of ntpd processing where
ntpd has decided to adjust the clock some amount. What if pre-emptions
happen in that segment of processing, where the adjustment value was
calculated but not actually applied yet ? Just guessing, but I think
that could lead to some accuracy reduction due to ntpd being pre-
empted more often in segments it would rather not be pre-empted in.
Running high priority would reduce the frequency of ntpd pre-emptions
and the potential for applying adjustments a little later than
optimal.

I'm really just guessing so you all can set me straight if needed.

Thanks,

Fran