On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 20:23, David Woolley
<david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> Nickolay Orekhov wrote:
>
>> # midist  : increased minimal distance for PPS reference clocks ( default
>> 0.001s )
>> tos mindist 0.032
>

> I can't answer your specific question, but using PPS generally indicates an
> attempt to get highly accurate time, whereas the above disables the kernel
> time discipline and will result in a 1 second period sawtooth in the time
> error as the result of the user space discipline invoking adjtime every
> second.

The kernel discipline is disabled if the tinker step threshold is
raised above one-half second (including 0, which is treated as
infinite step threshold).  His configuration changed stepout, not
step, so I doubt the kernel discipline is disabled.  Nickolay can
confirm by looking at syslog freq_set events, which mention ntpd or
kern to describe the loop discipline selection.

Chers,
Dave Hart