I have some pending changes to improve the way ntpd fuzzes the
insignificant bits of times it reads from the OS clock what that OS
clock ticks slowly enough that it is possible for ntpd to read the
same current time in subsequent gettimeofday()getclock() calls.  See
http://bugs.ntp.org/2037.  While it used to be common, free Unix-like
PC OSes rarely have such a stepping OS clock these days -- much more
commonly a high-resolution counter is selected to base system time on.
 Thanks, PHK!

Dr. Mills raised the possibility privately that either FreeBSD or
Linux might be reconfigured to use a more primitive clock that steps
once per millisecond or less.  If possible and I am able to accomplish
it, my testing of these bug 2037 fuzzing changes would be greatly
assisted.

I did a bit of searching but of course this is an odd request:  "help
me degrade the precision of my system clock, please" hasn't come up
much.  If you have any suggestions, please speak up here, or privately
if you prefer.

Thanks,
Dave Hart