Danny Mayer wrote:
No, they use synchronized Cesium atomic clocks for time accuracy. GPS is
only used to get a fix on the location and I'm not sure that 10's of
centimeters is good enough for what they are trying to prove. I'd have
to look closely at the methods used and the data to even have a clue as
to what is needed and I have touched that stuff in years.

Danny, how do you think they keep those atomic clocks synchronized?

How do they _verify_ that they actually stay in sync (to a single-digit ns level) over the entire length of the experiment(many months)?

Even Hydrogen Masers won't give you that performance over a year or so, you have to have some way to sync them either to each other or to UTC.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>