1. If you mark clocks as "true" you somehow fool yourself :-). Because now
if the clocks are real falsetickers you won't even know about it and your
system
will be out of sync and for ex. will show low offset from some falseticker
maybe.
So you have to make clocks closer but don't mark them as "true". When
comparing them ntpd will take into account large jitter of NMEA and maybe
you may go forward
even without increasing mindist.

2. NTPD can choose 2 of 3 clock sources but he can't choose 1 of 2 clocks.
So you have to combine NMEA and PPS in one source
or add another ntp server for selection algorithm to work.

3. When starting ntpd will at first STEP time to some clock source. I can
suppose It will be NMEA. But later ntpd will choose
PPS because of low jitter and spike detection algorithm can take place. It
will wait for 15 minutes and then make another STEP. To skip this
15 minutes, set time1 to real value.

That's just a wild guess.
To be more specific, please, could you post your full config first of all,
and then ntpq output
of commands such as "pe", "rv", "cv" and so on short after restart and then
after about half an hour? I think there's some problem in configs. C