Juliusz ,

The fuzzballs indeed used a delay metric. They made little nests at the earth stations in the SATnet program, as well as the routers used in the early NSFnet. In its original form, the ARPAnet also used a a node state metric like the fuzzballs, but switched to a link based metric like OpenSPF. So far as I know the fuzzballs used split horizon and hold-down before anybody else did. This was exemplified by the mantra

"good news travels fast, but bad news travels forever." See below for additional references.

Mills, D.L. The Fuzzball. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 88 Symposium (Palo Alto CA, August 1988), 115-122.

Mills, D.L., and H.-W. Braun. The NSFNET Backbone Network. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 87 Symposium (Stoweflake VT, August 1987), 191-196.

Dave

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the offtopic post, but I really don't see another place to ask
this question.

I hear that the Fuzzball routing protocol used packet delay as a routing
metric.  Does anyone recall if that's right?  Was it the RTT, or was it
attempting to perform an estimate of one-way delay?

More generally, I'll be grateful for any pointers to papers on the
subject of using delay in routing protocols.

Thanks for your help,

-- Juliusz Chroboczek