Hal Murray wrote:
In article <20120105125942.GA15654@localhost>,
 Miroslav Lichvar <mlich...@redhat.com> writes:

The other difficulty with respect to real life may be modeling network jitter
as exponential, since I believe the probability distribution for network delays
is heavy-tailed (i.e. with extreme values way over-represented; this is a
problem
when using statistics which assume the underlying error distribution is
gaussian).
I don't know how to fix that, though.

I'd definitely be interested in a better model for network delays. I
guess we could try to make a collection of the ntp rawstats logs from
various network environments and see how the distribution looks like.

My 2 cents...

I have a 384K DSL line.  I'd say it runs in one of 3 modes.

1) Mostly idle.  There is a little background traffic: NTP,
  fetchmail checks and occasional fetches.  yum checks at 3 AM...

2) Big download.  Occasionally, I download something like a CD.
That puts a consistent load on the download direction.  The queueing
delays go up to ballpark of 1 second.  ntpd doesn't like that.
After a while it sometimes to a bogus offset.  huffpuff helps,
but a big download can take a long long time.

3) Flurry of web downloads.  If I'm browsing the web, I occasionally
hit a page with lots of pictures and such. Mozilla opens lots of TCP connections. The round trip time goes over 3.5 seconds.

I don't think any of that fits an exponential tail.

I've got lots of log files.  Maybe I should make a histogram...

I'm on 2Mbit adsl with maximum upload of 288 kbit. Actual
uploads were topping out at only about 130kbit until I enabled
altq traffic shaping with a cap at about 250kbit. I now hit
250kbit on upload. Certain traffic also gets priority including
ntp. Apart from when my servers are being hammered by abuse
this has worked very well.