Just deployed the 4.2.4p8 NTP client to 50 Windows 2003 SP2 servers, and all seem to be running fine...except...

One or two of the clients develop an offset of about 16 seconds. Restarting the service puts them back in sync with the NTP server, but in a few minutes they're back to the old offset.

What option can I add to the conf file to specify a log file? I don't seem to be able to modify the startup string in the service's properties. I tried adding "logfile <filename>" to the conf file, which didn't seem to work.

How can I raise the debug level?

Thanks...Lyle

Lyle,

As a first step, I would check that the W32time service is not running, and that there's nothing on those servers which might try and restart it. I have little experience with Domains, but are those servers performing a different role to the others? The NTP service normally write its entries to the Windows Event Log, so you could look there for entries from "NTP". I've written a little about basic fault-finding here:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html#check

Someone will doubtless comment that the current version is 4.2.6, but let's try and get what you have working.