On 2/13/2012 00:49, Dave Hart wrote:
You can force the remote sources to poll less frequently using minpoll
on their server lines.  I make no promises that is a wise thing to do,
though.  I presume there's a good reason ntpd does not raise the
polling interval on peers when the system polling interval is held low
by the refclock.

I'm not sure it's a good idea either but I would really like to understand why a refclock clamps the polling interval at such a low value when nearly every bit of documentation says we should be kind to NTP servers and make sure the polling period is allowed to reach 1024.

In this case ntpd successfully deselected the errant source and then
accepted it again after the strange behavior was noted.  But I contend that
this may have happened with the system peer and ntpd may nto have been so
graceful about the sudden jump.

That makes sense.  I am looking forward to the day you're able to test
with the libc math fix, optimistically hoping it will resolve this
issue as well.

The flaw in libc has actually been found and I'm in the (very slow) process of downloading all the source code to apply a patch and fix it.

In the mean time I am running now for over 24 hours without strange behavior. I did get PPS working again by adding a 'prefer' to one of the internet servers. My misunderstanding was that PPS would work even without a 'prefer' as long as the system could vote on a system peer and it was reasonably close (a few ms). Apparently that's not how it works. This is without kernel discipline, though (flag 3 is zero) so I'm waiting to turn that on. I'm going to give it a week in this configuration.

The stability is good enough that I can watch the PPM correction drift by a few ppb due to temperature swings in the room. I get about 2 ppb (the PPM number changes by 0.002) shift for each degree Fahrenheit of room swing.

PS:  I get a fuzz report once every two hours, is this what is supposed to
be in the code or is it supposed to report fuzz when it is detected?

If everything were optimal, you'd only see mention of fuzz at startup,
if at all.  It's not mentioned if the fuzz threshold is the precision
reported at startup, only if it's lower, which would happen if the
minimum time to read the system clock is less than the observed
minimum nonzero delta between successive readings, in which case the
fuzz reported is that minimum time to read the clock.  I'm similarly
hoping the libc patch will eliminate the cryptic fuzz "reports" which
are basically barking that the clock appeared to run backwards.  Of
course, once you have the libc patch you will be at liberty to hop off
the ntp-dev bleeding edge with the new fuzz code and back to the
well-worn 4.2.6 ntp-stable path, but I hope you'll wait a bit first to
help me understand if those barks are a sign of buggy new fuzz code or
a buggy libc.

I'll let you know when I finally get libc fixed but it's pretty much in a constant state of fuzz. I see a fuzz report about once per hour on average.