On 2012-03-21, David Lord <sn...@lordynet.org> wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> seems that my datasheet must be wrong then.
>>>
>>> The lack of noise must be due to my scope being faulty.
>>>
>>> I'll continue using the MAX232 feeding the pc via about
>>> 60ft of cable with no problems so far.
>>>
>>> Last dozen summary lines
>>>     mean=0.000 all same
>>>           rms=0.004 avg of 12 between 0.003 and 0.006
>>>           max= between 0.027 to 0.039
>>
>> Not at all sure what those lines mean. The mean of what? What are the
>> units of those (ntp usiually works either in seconds of ms).
>> mean of what? rms of what?
>>
>>> This Sure has been online since about April last year
>>> and the Garmin 18x-LVC used through 2010 gave similar
>>> offsets.
>>
>> offsets from what?
>>
>> Recall that I was talking about ns resolution, not ms.
>
> I forgot that you know nothing about ntpd

What has ntpd got to do with it? You quoted some number of completely
unkown provinence.

> My oscilloscope is supposedly 30Mhz bandwidth so can just
> about display 10s of nanosecond variations. My diy scope
> from around 1970 could do much better.

I agree that the Sure PPS signal has about a 10ns rise time. But that is
before sending it through the rs232 level converter. After that it has
about a 1/2 to 1us rise time.

> Ntpd can be set to log stats including peerstats.

Yes, I do it all the time.

> Ntpd distribution comes with a set of scripts that can
> process the stats files and output loop_summary,
> peer_summary etc.

Yes, and you could write your own as well. I have written my own for
example.

> The units are milliseconds so 0.001 represents 1000ns.

Thank you. It is always good to give units when you quote a number.
(and yes, I know how many ns there are in a ms.)