> In a nutshell, displaying IPv6 addresses and 80 column formatting
> simply aren't compatible.  An IPv6 address is simply going to consume
> too much space for that. It may be that we aren't supposed to parse the
> output of the likes of ntpq -p but still...

A compromise might be to always write enough of the IPv6 address that
the displayed string is different from any IPv6 address written above
it.  This might means the printed addresses get longer as we go.

Other idea is to truncate differently.  Perhaps dropping characters
from the middle or the left end?  Maybe even the program is smart
enough to detect and drop a common sub-string.

In any case I'd argue that it is a bug to use the same exact string to
represent different servers
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California