On 13/10/2012 00:25, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
On 10/12/2012 6:25 PM, gabs wrote:
Instead of waiting several minutes (hours?) to reach microsecond
offsets, I've been using a chrony-like
method to set the time and frequency before starting ntpd:

It's hours!  About ten hours to get the best time the system is capable of!
[]
As I've mentioned before, 10 hours may be much longer than is needed for some systems. Many PCs here settle to the best they can reach within a few minutes, but I am referring to Windows PCs either with a local time source (GPS/PPS), or with a short polling interval to LAN-based stratum-1 servers. But these are not "microsecond offset" systems.

BTW: I now have one Windows-8 system which is Wi-Fi connected and showing very good performance, doubtless due in part to the new precise GetSystemTime function call. On the other hand, I have another Wi-Fi connected WIndows-8 PC which has "average" performance. How well Wi-Fi works seems to be a little luck of the draw....
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu