rumeg...@ugpa.ru wrote:> Why does a ntp server (with "tos orphan" enabled) start
>  answering requests before all existing peers are checked
>  for availability? Is there any good reason?
(Shrug)

> Peoples have to make workarounds to avoid such behavior.

They shouldn't have to.
 If the orphan stratum is high enough, e.g. 10,
 between the ophan's stratum, the orphan's dispersion,
 the clients reach count for the orphan,
 and the clients checking other servers,
 they would ignore the orphan, till it got its act together.

> How do you deal with is? I mean a configuration like below:
>
> server ntp.mydomain.ru true iburst prefer minpoll 6 maxpoll 10
> tos orphan 6
> tos maxdist 3
> tinker panic 0
>
> If you set it on a windows machine and reboot,
>  the time would be broken for about 10 minutes after startup.
>  And what is more, the bad time would be provided across the LAN.

Which gets ignored?

> How it can be avoided?

Have the clients look at more than server?  e.g.

#  Start ntpd with -g, the -g will prevent a panic stop if the time needs to be
stepped when started
# ntp.conf for ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict source nomodify
keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
trustedkey 123
manycastserver  224.0.1.1
manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient
# server ###.###.###.### iburst key 123
# server ntp.example.net iburst preempt
# pool pool.ntp.org preempt                # Won't hurt anything if the
internet can't be reached

--
E-Mail Sent to this address <blackl...@anitech-systems.com>
  will be added to the BlackLists.