I have two Raspberry Pi card computers both synced to GPS/PPS sources. #1 is using a u-blox 6M "navigation" GPS, and #2 a Trimble resolution SMT "timing" GPS. Every now and then (perhaps one day on ten?), the "navigation" synced device develops spikes in the offset of about 8 microseconds in duration, as shown here:

Graphs for December 20:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#oscillations

Current data:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp-pn.php

Although the offset appears to have a 1.25 hour period from the MRTG graphs, examining the loopstats directly shows that the actual period is just over about 5/3 minutes - just over 100 seconds. I don't know what's happening. I would have put it down to poor GPS strength, except that the effect lasts almost a whole day, and GPS missing usually contributes bigger offset spikes. I would not expect it to be the navigation mode of the GPS as the excursions are larger than I would expect between navigation and timing modes, but I don't have a lot of experience in that area. One difference in the configuration is that #1 - the one with the offsets - runs and uses gpsd for the coarse seconds, whereas #2 relies on the rest of the network. This seems to causes a higher CPU usage in #1, shown in there graphs:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-1.php
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-2.php

Your comments welcomed!
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu