Marco Marongiu <brontoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/13 20:21, dar8...@eml.cc wrote:
>> i'm not sure if/how to implement this conditional fallback 'logic' for
>> ntp's server selection.
>
> I had a similar problem, and I use cfengine to solve that: depending on
> the network to which I am attached, my ntpd gets a different
> configuration: Italian pool servers when I am in Italy, Norwegian pool
> servers when I am in Norway, but not in the office; and our office
> servers when I am in the office

Actually, this may work just fine when you use pool.ntp.org as the
name (omitting the country code).
The NTP pool has logic to derive the country from the source address
of the DNS query and give pool members from that country.

It works very well here.   I have heard that some people have problems
because of strange registration of their IP ranges or because they
use funny DNS relays, but you can always try.