On 20/01/2013 20:54, Mischanko, Edward T wrote:
David,

Jitter of .008 seems pretty good to me?
That's better than my FreeBSD box gets with PPS.
I realize that .000 would be preferable.  ;-)

Regards,
Ed

My Intel Atom FreeBSD box routinely gets about 2.6 microseconds averaged jitter, that's a D410PT board (1.66 GHz, 1 core, 2 threads).

But it's not the absolute value which caused my question - it was that changing from user-mode to kernel-mode time stamping /should/ produce an improvement, and yet it appears not to. Hence the question: "Is it working?".

And at the back of my mind: How well can windows-8 ultimately do, with its more precise system time API?
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu