On 2013-01-26, no-...@no-place.org <no-...@no-place.org> wrote:
> I am an app developer who has a precision audio frequency app for
> iPhone and Android devices.  For my app the nominal crystal oscillator
> accuracy in these devices is not sufficient.  Up until now I have been
> providing frequency calibration in my app by instructing the user to
> call the telephone feed of WWV (NIST) audio (using a separate landline
> phone) and let my app listen to the 500 Hz and 600 Hz tones.  By
> analyzing the audio I can correct for the device's audio system clock
> deviation.  Normally they only need to do this once after the app is
> installed because the stability of these devices is OK once I memorize
> the offset.
>
> Now I am considering an alternate means of performing this calibration
> using NTP.  The iPhone and Android devices deliver audio to my app in
> small packets.  A calibration run would consist of an initial NTP
> syncronization with an audio packet, followed by a period of some
> number of minutes during which I will just count audio packets,
> followed by a final NTP synchronization with the last audio packet.
> By knowing the time difference over some number of audio packets I
> hope to calculate the actual audio clock frequency for that device.
>
> My question is about the NTP procedure I should follow to do this.  I
> obviously don't want to hard-code for a specific time server because
> things could change after the user gets my app and it is unfair to
> send a whole block of users to the same server.  The Server Pool looks
> promising.  Does pool.ntp.org just behave like a Stratum 2 server so I
> could hard-code that URL into my implementation of NTP in my app?  I
> would appreciate any observations on the promise of this approach.

They can be almost any stratum, not nec 2. some could be stratum 1 wiyh
GPS clocks, some 3 or 4. I do not have the distribution.
And no you definitely should not hard code a site, unless it is one
controlled by you. It is extremely bad form to do it.
However you may onlr get ms accuracy, which means you would need minutes
of time base to get the accuracy.
Note pool.ntp.org does NOT have an IP-- each dns request gives a
different IP, so you need the name, not an IP.