Have you ever tried to synchronize to the pool servers with NTPD for any

length of time?  I did once, admittedly several years ago.  They weaved

and waved all over the time domain so much (at least +- 50 ms) that it

was impossible to have stable time on the client.  I would suggest you

try synchronizing your home (or another) computer to the pool servers

with NTPD for a couple of days (and record with peerstats and/or

loopstats logs and inspect the results in a spreadsheet and graph)

before you design them into your app.

Using the pool servers are the "right" thing to do for your application.

However, you may be disappointed in the results.  I use stratum 2 servers

with some success; stratum 1 servers are

way too overloaded, at least in the US.

The other side of the coin is that non-pool servers come and go with

distressing frequency.  We lost several located on the East Coast of

the US around the time of Hurricane Sandy.

Charles Elliott