On 01/03/2013 03:45, rama...@gmail.com wrote:
[]
Good call. The manual I have for 1 of my Gigabyte mother boards is useless.
Managed to find the relevant information. Now have a 3.16GHz core2duo fed with
a pps. A getnstimeofday() early in the irq code and a 2nd just before the
normal pps time stamp is taken and still seeing 5us - 6us between the 2 times.

Even with that delay it is still far better than what I get from internet ntp
servers over my 8160/384 adsl link.

I'm delighted that was of help - the old COM port still lives on! I see something similar in orders of magnitude of behaviour - if not in absolute numbers - in terms of syncing. Of the Internet is worst (Cable Modem: 30/3 Mb/s), LAN is better, PPS is best on my Windows systems. Much better now with Windows-8 and the precise time call, but still not as good as a UNIX-based system.

It will be interesting to see whether others can produce similar time differences - on today's GHz processors you can to an awful lot in 5 microseconds!
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu