On 4/13/2013 5:09 PM, David Woolley wrote:
website.read...@gmail.com wrote:

I can obtain some precision crystals (+/- 2ppm) for about $8 to $10,
+ so why aren't they being added to the mid-level and up motherboards?

$8-10 for the crystal would imply a total motherboard price of $2,000+.

I think the big market for high end motherboards is gamers, and they are
not interested in accurate real time.  The rest of the PC market
probably finds the issue too technical.

PC's clocks are often chosen for price rather than micro, or nano second timing accuracy.

Personally, I have little need for anything much more than hours and minutes!

If you need, or just want micro or nano ticks, I believe you can get
them