David Taylor wrote:
On 13/08/2013 13:44, Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
Take care if you have also installed some stuff from David Taylor. This
is perfectly fine but AFAIK David uses VS2010, so there may be
dependencies on the VS2010 runtime from David's binaries, and
dependencies on the VS2008 runtime from Meinberg's binaries.

Martin
===================================

Martin, you raise a good point.  Yes, mune are compiled with VS2010, and
I've never had to install extra runtime DLLs to get NTP working, but may
of my PCs run other software as well which /may/ have installed them.  I
seem to recall that on several out-of-the-box Windows-8 installs, your
recent 4.2.6p5 "London" version installed without the need for any extra
DLLs, and my locally-compiled 4.2.7p development versions could be
written over the top of your install without issues (SSL dependency
excepted).  Lots of others have used your install without issues, and
many have used my updates as well.

One other point is the OpenSSL library.

If I remember correctly the OpenSSL package can be built with different compiler packages. If the source code references the compiler's runtime library then there may also be a dependency to the particular version of the runtime library.

An ntpd binary from our package built with VS2008 requires the VS2008 runtime to start. However, it also uses the libeay32 DLL. So if someone copies a libeay32.dll version you have built with VS2010 from the same version of the OpenSSL source code then ntpd will probably work with it, but as a secondary dependency it may require the VS2010 runtime for libeay32.dll.

I haven't tried this, it's just a potential problem.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren