On Sep 9, 2013, at 10:02 PM, David Taylor wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 23:10, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
> BlackLists wrote:
>> Jared Watkins wrote:
>>> In pretty much all cases though when graphing the offsets
>>>   I'm seeing sine wave patterns.
>>>  The period is usually about 10 hours and the amplitude
>>>   can vary by +-25ms for the 'closer' ones and as much
>>>    as +-100ms for the more distant ones.
>>> Any ideas on what would cause it?
>>
>> Temperature?
>
> Plotting with MRTG might show that - I can see peaks in the Winter when the
> heating turns on in the morning.

I've had a chance to try a few things since I posted this.. I don't think it's
temperature. I have plots of that and it's very stable.  I think it's a
combination of network latency to the upstream peer combined with varying
system jitter.  I plotted the jitter and saw that it's a sawtooth pattern that
varies over the same interval with peaks and valleys lining up with the offset
swings.  On 'good' hosts it fluctuates between about .5 and a max of 1ms and on
bad hosts it's more like 1-4ms of jitter.  A really good host had jitter swings
of between about .2 to .5 ms and a corresponding offset swing of about +- 8ms.

I don't know for certain this is cause and effect but I've not been able to
find anything else.

-J