-----Original Message-----
From: questions-bounces+edward.mischanko=arcelormittal....@lists.ntp.org
[mailto:questions-bounces+edward.mischanko=arcelormittal....@lists.ntp.org] On
Behalf Of unruh
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:34 AM
To: questions@lists.ntp.org
Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] GPS/PPS and "enable calibrate"

On 2013-09-09, David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/09/2013 19:55, unruh wrote:
> []
>> Well, as I recall it took a long time for them to release their update.
>> Note I am not a fan of Garmin. I bought two 18 (not 18x) and both
>> have died.
>
> Who would have guessed!  <G>
>
> I have the 18 and 18x.  The 18 has been out on the roof for some
> years, and continues to work OK.  The 18x did stop working once but
> was repaired FoC by Garmin (as it was another firmware defect).  Yes,
> it took Garmin months rather than weeks to issue a formal fix for the
> problem, but that's probably typical for a large firm with lots of QC
> delays.  I would continue to recommend Garmin, just as I would the
> Sure board (even though one of their supplied antennas failed), ad I
> would

Yes, one of my two Sure antennas failed as well for me, and although they made
noises about replacing it, they never did, and stopped answering my emails. On
the other hand at $35 it was not a huge loss.
Just wish I could find a supplier for their $3 antennas.

Any powered gps antenna should work?  Measure the voltage between the center
pin and the shield; buy a antenna that works with that voltage.

> the Adafruit GPS module.
>
>    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GPS-18x-OEM-LVC/dp/B0016O3T7A
>
>    http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99
>
>    http://www.adafruit.com/products/746
>
> None of these are perfect, but non are high-priced items either.

The Garmin is the highest priced of the lot. It does have the advantage of a
nice compact contained unit, rather than the exposed board of the Sure (hard to
put that outside)