unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2013-09-19, Horvath Bob-BHORVAT1 <bob.horv...@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:

Because the boss wants to cut down on physical machines, as we are
migrating to external hosting.

Unruh, what we see time and time again: you as a hobbyist on your own
little PC at home have a completely different view on the world than the
corporate sysadmin has.

You are always recommending things that just aren't practical.
Just as I can't get a Sure GPS board and install its antenna outside
the building with a long wire to the computer room, I also cannot decide
if we will virtualize or not.

We virtualized about 30 servers into 3 boxes at one location, and 4
servers into another box at another location.  The footprint went from
a room full of equipment to 6HE in a rack.
Having a few hundred us less NTP accuracy is a small price to pay for
that.

If only you would understand such things...

>>> The machine still providers good time.  It is still synchronized to time
>>> sources on the network as it was before, and it still provides time to other
>>> servers and clients on the local network.  Servers are other virtual servers
>>> on the same ESX hosts.  Loading of the origin time servers is the same.
>
> It seems to now, and then that machine becomes loaded, with one of the
> other virtual machine taking up loads of time, and suddenly your time
> has gone to hell. This is how you want a server to behave?

You have zero knowledge of how ESX behaves.
Probably you base your opinion on a VMware workstation installation you
once did on your hobby PC.
Please don't make statements about stuff you have not the slightest
knowledge of.

> Sure it works since you test it on a lightly loaded machine where each
> OS gets approximately the same amount of time.

And also when it is loaded.  That is why you have an 8-core machine
underneath it, and a virtualization platform that allows you to allocate
resources.