On 2013-10-14, Rob wrote:
> unruh wrote:

> >> No, a real world example of bad design.
> >>
> >> A GUI is fine but it should always manipulate the actual configuration
> >> files, not some generic storage used to generate the files.  This mistake
> >> has been made many times in the Unix world.
> >>
> >> This is why the Windows Registry is such a good idea.  You have a
> >> universally accepted configuration store that both the GUI tools and
> >> the relevant software can access and update.
> >>
> >> When FreeBSD (and Linux) had a registry, problems like this would not
> >> occur.  ntpd would just read its configuration from the registry, and
> >> it would be a breeze to change poolservers with either the GUI or the
> >> generic registry editor, without confusing anyone.
> >
> > Linux has a registry. It is called /etc/
> > Easily edited, not by some registry tool, but by any editor the user
> > might want to use.
>
> This has to be nominated the "unruh stupid comment of the month".

The Windows registry provides a mechanism for the saving and
retrieval of values from a structured set of named values.  So does
/etc.  Neither one enforces policy nor good design.

I don't see how the registry offers any advantages over /etc with
respect to the configuration of ntpd.  To borrow from your paragraph
above, ntpd just reads its configuration from /etc/ntp.conf, and
it is a breeze to change pool servers with either a GUI (if you felt
one was really necessary) or a generic text editor, without
confusing anyone.

Also, unlike the registry, which provides no means for annotating or
providing any information at all about the meaning or effects of a
value, /etc/ntp.conf can include comments to guide the inexperienced
user.

Regards,
Gary