If the oscillator drifts from last drift-file write, outside of +/- 15
ppm if I recall it, it fails to lock in again.
It would be good if it could bail out and do normal frequency
acquisition if that occurs.

That particular "feature" have bitten hard, and was a side-consequence
of other faults, but none-the-less.

Thanks Magnus, I saw the bug report you filed.

Would it be wiser to delete the drift file at boot - by script - and let ntpd resync and recreate a new drift file?

As mentioned, I don't really need my system to be synced down to the millisecond, if ntpd takes a few hours to settle and the time is off up to a few seconds during that time it's perfectly fine with me.

Thanks
Antonio