David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 15/11/2013 18:22, Rob wrote:
> []
>> You *what* I find confusing?
> []
>
> I find it confusing that the behaviour on one Raspberry Pi differed from
> that on another Raspberry Pi, both running Linux 3.x.

Well, "Linux 3.x" is not really an indicator of the operating environment.
It is the version of the kernel only.

"Windows 5.x" also does not tell you if it is Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

What you need to compare is the distributor name and version, like
"Raspbian Wheezy".

The kernel has nothing to do with the filesystem naming conventions,
and in fact the whole "sbin" thing was not part of original Unix, it
was changed later.   In early Unix versions most programs were in the
bin directory and some that you really were not supposed to use as
a user were in lib or even etc.
At some point in time, a reorganization was done to make etc only for
config items, lib only for libraries, and then sbin was invented for
the programs that would not belong in bin.

However, every Linux system can setup things differently when the maker
likes to.  On top of that, there is an individual that lately tends
to change many things just because he thinks it is better that way
(usually disregarding the incompatability problems it causes), and some
distributors listen to him while others thankfully don't.

For the Raspberry Pi, different Linux distributions are available.
So you will find some difference in details, even when the kernel
is the same.