On 2014-04-27, mike cook <michael.c...@sfr.fr> wrote:

> Le 27 avr. 2014 ? 05:36, Paul a ?crit :
>
>> On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Paul <tik-...@bodosom.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's fair to wonder why the  NTP tar ball doesn't include
>>> timepps-Linux.h along with others they do include.
>>>

>> On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there only one version of that file that is compatible with the
>>> places NTP will be built?  ...
>>> And even if so, why should this issue cost-shift to the NTP Project?
>>>

>> So why does the distribution include multiple, platform specific, instances
>> of timepps.h viz.
>> timepps-SCO.h
>> timepps-Solaris.h
>> timepps-SunOS.h
>
>   If you look at those, they are included because the API does not ( or
> didn't ) exist in the OSs whereas it does for Linux so responsibility should
> reside there.
>   IIRC, the OP was a heads up which IS useful, but complaints should go to
> the distributers, rather than here as has been previously mentioned.

ntpd needs timepps.h. timepps.h is only sporadically included in
distros. So ntpd should supply what it needs. It is bizarre that if the
distro does not have the API ntpd supplies the timepps, but if it does
it washes its hands of the problem? Sorry, makes no sense to me.
Now, if each distro required a different timepps.h your argument would
make sense, but as far as I know, there is a common timepps.h that will
work on all versions of Linux. So, include it.
Otherwise why not tell people to but the SCO or Solaris kernel
developers to include the API and refuse to include a workaround in the
ntpd code? It is the kernel's fault!
To waste thousands of people's time, to tell someone to run around to
all thousand linux distros and submit a bug report to each one, when one
could simply include yet another .h file in the code seems pretty
perverse to me.

Now the above IS predicated on the assumption that there is a common
timepps.h file which could be used for all Linux kernels. If that is
wrong, if it really is kernel or distribution specific, then my argument fails.