On 2014-06-10, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
> David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> On 10/06/2014 17:03, Rob wrote:
>> []
>>> Ok that looks good.
>>>
>>> What is the impact of "The ntp-dev* packages do not utilize any of the
>>> Debian distribution patches"?

The Debian distribution patches included in their NTP package are used
to remove DFSG violations and to fix issues which are specific to the
NTP stable release.

The NTP Project ntp-dev Debian package in intended to allow users to
easily test ntp-dev as is. So patches which change functionality are
counterproductive.

>>> Do the precompiled builds include the ATOM PPS clock?
>>> (the default Debian builds do not due to incorrect build environment)

The NTP Project's ntp-dev Debian package (as I set it up) uses the
following configure line (in ./debian/rules):

        ./configure CFLAGS='$(CFLAGS)' \
                --prefix=/usr \
                --enable-all-clocks --enable-parse-clocks --enable-SHM \
                --enable-debugging --sysconfdir=/var/lib/ntp \
                --with-sntp=yes \
                --enable-linuxcaps

> This was required because Debian forget to install the PPS package
> before doing the compilation, and then PPS support is not going to be
> in the compiled ntpd.
>
> So now I need to decide if I can install precompiled binaries of the
> development version, or I need to go the route of compilation again.

If you _do_ need to recompile NTP on your Debian system to enable
additional features you can use the source debs which are (or used to
be) available in the NTP Project Debian package repository.

Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources, or in a file in
/etc/apt/source.d/, to use the packages in this repository:

    deb-src http://packages.ntp.org/debian stable main

Then run the following commands in a scratch directory:

apt-get update
apt-get build-dep ntp-dev
apt-get install devscripts
apt-get source ntp-dev

Then edit the configure line in ./debian/rules in the source tree.

Then run this in the base of the source tree:

debuild -us -uc

Then cd ../ and install the resulting deb with dpkg -i ....

> And if I need to weed through the Debian patches to see if those need
> to be applied again to the development version (e.g. because they
> change default paths)

ntp-dev automatically does the right thing WRT to default paths for most
major OSes or "distributions".

> or not (e.g. because they fix bugs that are already fixed in the
> development version).

Since there is usually a considerable amount of churn in the code base
between stable release and a ntp-dev snapshot the patches may not even
be applicable.

--
Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org>