Rob wrote:
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org> wrote:
Discussion appreciated.

I think it is best to remove KOD from ntpd.
It does not serve a useful purpose, because precisely the kind of
clients that you want to say goodbye to, do not support it.

In real life it has either no effect at all, or it even has a negative
effect because the client does not understand it and re-tries the
request sooner than it would when no reply was sent at all.

I'm afraid this is exactly right:

KOD is a way to "keep honest guys honest", i.e. it only helps against programmers/users why actually try (hard) to do the right thing.

Currently it will cause a badly configured ntpd installation (burst + minpoll 4 + maxpoll 4) to possibly stop using any server which sends back KOD, but only if it also uses the pool directive to actively search out the best servers.

I don't want to think about users actively trying to generate as much traffic as possible. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>