William Unruh wrote:
Yes, not entirely surprizing, especially considering the way ntp is
designed right now. This is a combination of bad ntpd design, and
restart when an external source is mandatory.

I think the design was OK when it was originally invented many years ago. However, as you can see from my other comments I agree that this isn't optimal for today's requirements.

Software which is designed later can always be designed trying to avoid limitations which have shown up in concepts used by older software a long time after the original concept had been determined.

This is similar with PTP vs. NTP, which also benefits from hardware time stamping only and has been originally designed to use follow-up packets to send the time stamps captured when the original packet went out on the wire.

Even this PTP 2-step concept is actually obsoleted by 1-step mode, where the NIC hardware can replace the original transmission time at the end of an outgoing PTP packet by the time stamp captured at the beginning of that packet. This reguires special, fast hardware, though.

So you see, from a later point of view there's always room for improvements if the requirements or technical possibilities have changed.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren